We’re five days in to our go-live and continuing to maintain all our expected workflows on the system. Our CPOE rate hit 90% today, the balance being orders written on paper for expected reasons (Pediatric TPN and Chemotherapy) and telephone or verbal orders. Our ED door-to-floor time is about expected, neither better (yet) nor measurably worse. Revenues are within the margin of variation.
Below are the trouble tickets called in to our service desk broken out by category. As anticipated the large majority of issues are users whose security is not set up perfectly for their role. Security settings in Epic are very customizable and, it has to be said, enormously complicated. When I took the Epic security class in Madison it reminded me of the nephron.
Next in the stack is “optimization” which for now doesn’t count as trouble, and third on the list is printing. With the incredibly powerful things we can do with technology, like order and document extracorporal membrane oxygenation on a premature infant clinging to life, I find it remarkable that printers everywhere continue to be such a pain. No amount of rigor and testing (and we did a lot of testing) here or elsewhere can seem to entirely decomplexify them.